What is Planetree? Planetree is …
• A philosophy of care whose objective is to Personalize, Humanize and Demystify each healthcare experience from the patient’s perspective and, in so doing, create a healing partnership between the patient and his/her caregivers.
• A model of care delivery committed to enhancing healthcare from the patient’s perspective.
• A model that creates healing environments in which patients can be active participants.
• Caregivers that are empowered to do what is right for the patient.
Planetree’s Mission and Vision…
Vision: As a global catalyst and leader Planetree promotes the development and implementation of innovative models of healthcare that focus on healing and nurturing body, mind and spirit.
Mission: Planetree is a non-profit organization that provides education and information in a collaborative community of healthcare organizations, facilitating efforts to create patient-centered care in healing environments.
What is Patient-Centered Care?
Defined by the Institute of Medicine as “Providing care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient preferences, needs and values and ensuring that patient values guide all clinical decisions.”
Planetree is a philosophy that focuses all decisions, first and foremost on the patient – as it should be. It’s about doing what’s right for the patient and their families; creating a partnership designed to solidify the collaboration of all caregivers and patients.
Planetree’s 10 Core Components for Patient-Centered Care:
1. Human Interaction – Human beings caring for other human beings, creating a healing environment for patients, families, and staff members.
2. Family, Friends, & Social Support – Contributes to the quality of the hospital experience by promoting caring connections between the patients and their support systems.
3. Information & Education – Patients, families, and community members are provided with increased access to meaningful information.
4. Nutritional & Nurturing Aspects of Food – Choice and personalized service, in combination with sound nutrition practices, add pleasure, comfort, and familiarity.
5. Architectural & Interior Design – The Planetree design considers the patients’ wellbeing. The hospital is welcoming and accessible, providing clearly marked signs for direction, comfortable and familiar rooms, and designs that engage the senses and break down barriers.
6. Arts & Entertainment – Music, artwork, theater, crafts, and clowns offer engagement and enjoyment to enhance the clinical environment.
7. Spirituality – Planetree recognizes the vital role of spirituality in healing the whole person. From chaplains to meditation programs, hospitals can provide opportunities for reflection and support of spiritual needs.
8. Human Touch – Touch reduces anxiety, pain, and stress, benefiting patients, families, and staff members.
9. Complementary Therapies – Expand the choices offered to patients. Aroma and pet therapy, acupuncture, and Reiki are offered in addition to clinical modalities of care.
10. Healthy Communities – Expand the boundaries of health care: Working with schools, senior centers, churches, and other community partners, organizations are redefining healthcare to include the health and wellness of the larger